Definitions of GIS
- " any manual or computer based set of procedures used to store and manipulate geographically referenced data." (Aronoff, 1989).
- " a special case of information system where the database consists of observations on spatially distributed features, activities or events." (Dueker, 1979).
- " a powerful set of tools for collecting, storing, retrieving at will, transforming and displaying spatial data from the real world for a particular set of purposes." (Burrough, 1986).
- " a decision support system involving the integration of spatially referenced data in a problem solving environment." (Cowen, 1988).
- " an information technology which stores, analyses and displays both spatial and non-spatial data ... GIS is actually a technology and is not necessarily limited to the confines of a single, well defined software system." (Parker, 1988).
- " an institutional entity, reflecting an organisational structure that integrates technology with a database, expertise and continuing financial support over time." (Carter, 1989).